Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Here's What I Think of Your Standardized Test!

Dear State Dept. of Education and U.S. Dept. of Education,
I just got my 13 year old daughter’s CMT results.  I am thrilled!  She scored well above average in reading and math. 
I would like you to also know that she scored a paltry “proficient” in writing.  Oh freaking well!  I would like you to call the “No Child Left Behind” hounds off of my daughter’s school district.  Just look away.   Look...away.
My sweet pea has had spectacular teachers who exhibited stellar work ethic and a strong desire to help her achieve her potential.  Guess what?  She did, and I am proud.  If you think for one second that I am going to be outraged that she was below the state average in writing, then you are mistaken.  How dare you assign an acceptable score that each child must achieve in order for a district to make AYP!  My child will not be judged according to what you feel is acceptable.  She has talents but she has areas where she might not be (insert horrified, gasping noise here) gifted.
Not every person can be gifted at everything.  They might not be good at everything.  I would rather have a society of people who are superb at their craft or career, than a society of people who are “goal” at everything.  We would lose all our specialized professions.  Why can’t you see this?
There are quite a few children who perform well across the board.  Are they gifted?  Or are they skilled test takers?  Doesn’t matter.  Good for them, whichever they are.  I applaud their smarts, or their skilled bubble choosing.  It’s time to educate and cultivate the gifts that lie within every child.  Why should they spend endless amounts of time shooting for “goal” in areas that they do not find interesting.  Just perform proficiently and blow the roof off of the subjects that speak to you.  I am sure then that they would find school more interesting and engaging.
My daughter rocks at reading and math.  But don’t ask her to write a fiction story about the day she found a lost dog in the park.  You WILL be disappointed. 
Take my baby for all her gifts and let some other sweet child be the next Edgar Allen Poe.  It’s OK, I’ll live.

Sincerely,
Proud Mother of an Awesome, Well-Rounded Child

No comments:

Post a Comment