I have a long standing theory about the decline of the morals and intelligence of some of the folks who currently live in the lower to lower middle socio-economic areas. I said, "some"
so please do not assume that I am making a blanket generalization. I
am not. I come from this socio-economic situation myself. So I know
that there are plenty of exceptions to my theory. Got it? If you
don't, then please stop reading. I don't want to deal with you.
Ok, I feel better, so here is my theory:
The folks who are angry, bitter and unwilling to put forth the effort to
better themselves should probably look at the choices that they have
made in their lives. This might give them the insight they need to
accept and then move on with a renewed desire to rise.
Perhaps, though, it would be a good idea to take a look at some
families and how they may be, in fact, teaching children to grow up to
blame their life situations on anyone else, except for themselves and
their choices. If you give a child everything they desire without
teaching them the cost or showing the work required to attain those
things, then you may be to blame. When people assume that they are
entitled to have all their wants indulged just because they are alive,
there is a problem. They were never taught how to EARN and take
responsibility. Then, when they go out on their own, they become angry
and don't understand why they don't have all that the Kardashians have.
This is why we now see a society of some folks who think it
better to buy the newest iPhone, when they cannot pay the electric
bill. Why they feel it's OK to seek assistance from the state to buy
food, but they refuse to get basic cable and then save the money for
school so they can better their lives. It's easier to blame others for
your misfortune than to take any sort of responsibility and build
resiliency in character.
So the next time your child says, "But Johnny made me do it. I didn't
want to, but he made me." Don't go fuss at Johnny's parents. Make your
child responsible for their actions. The next time your child
wants the newest and greatest electronic device, make them wait. Make
them see the value of budgeting and working to get what you want. They
may ultimately decide that the item is not worth it. That's still a
good lesson. Please, help them see the value of hard work and not
always getting what you want. You will do more good for them than you
would if you bought them something they will grow tired of. The lesson
you teach may effect them well into their adulthood.
I do not want to offend those families who have genuinely, and through
no selfish fault of their own, fallen on hard times. My heart does go
out to you and I do not mind paying more taxes for your benefit. I pray
nightly for your luck to change swiftly.
No comments:
Post a Comment